Leaving a tip at a restaurant can be an awkward moment for some people. As a general rule, we recommend offering 15% to 20% of your total order. Here are a few points to consider when choosing an amount to tip:
- How busy is the restaurant?
- How attentive was your server?
- Did you have to wait a considerably long time?
- Did all the food go to the right person?
- Would you categorize your experience as awful, average, or fantastic?
- How many people are in your group?
If you don’t feel like doing math, use a tip calculator. Some newer phones have tip calculators built-in while others have apps available for download. If you have an iPhone, try Danny Goodman’s Tip Calculator for iPhone Web App.